Re:RE: Extents size.

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 09:19:03 -0700

Back in the V6 days it was a desired characteristic to have every thing in the first extent of an object for performance reasons. Thankfully those days are gone and it really does not matter how many extents there are. Rachel has a presentation on Oracle Myths where she actually portrays having multiple extents as a good thing from an IO perspective (Rachel, correct me if I got this wrong).  Although I can't give you exact examples, take a look and v$filestat. I've found that tablespaces where there are more than one extent in the objects have a lower average io wait time that those where everything is in the first extent.

The only real good reason I have found for re-organizing a tablespace is to get all of the used extents at one end and all of the free extents (you know those little bitty ones that individually aren't worth the trouble, but together!!) at the other end.

Dick Goulet

Author: Christopher Spence <cspence_at_FuelSpot.com>
Date:       10/2/2001 7:55 AM

That is completely a myth. There is no notable performance different with a table with 10,000 extents and one with 1.

The only problem is when it comes to the bitmaps when dealing with LMT and cluster when dealing with dictionary managed. When you query the extent views, or do space management type processes.

"Do not criticize someone until you walked a mile in their shoes, that way when you criticize them, you are a mile a way and have their shoes."

Christopher R. Spence
Oracle DBA
Phone: (978) 322-5744
Fax: (707) 885-2275

Fuelspot
73 Princeton Street
North, Chelmsford 01863

Author: Thanh-truc Nguyen
  INET: truc_at_nguyen.as

Author: Wong, Bing
  INET: bing.wong_at_IngramMicro.com

Author: Christopher Spence
  INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Oct 02 2001 - 11:19:03 CDT