(no subject)

From: Denmark Weatherburne <denmark_weatherburne_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 15:39:30 -0700

Hi DBA's

Our production database has a tablespace with the following schema:

CREATE TABLESPACE IRD_DATA_LARGE
    DATAFILE 'E:\ORANT\DATABASE\USR1PROD.ORA' SIZE 128472K AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 2K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED
    LOGGING
    DEFAULT STORAGE(INITIAL 100K

                    NEXT 100K
                    MINEXTENTS 1
                    MAXEXTENTS 121
                    PCTINCREASE 1)

    ONLINE
    PERMANENT This tablespace has only 2MB of free space available. The fragmentation index is 58.7
The largest table is 29MB and has 5 extents. I've observed some segments with Max Extents different than 121 which is the default and how most of the segments were created. I know I need to add another datafile, however, I'd like to find out what would happen if a segment requested another extent that was larger than the available free space in the tablespace. Since AUTOEXTEND is enabled is there a possibility that this situation could cause the tablespace or instance to go offline or crash?

Thanks for your comments and advice!

Denmark Weatherburne
"Knowledge is power, but it is only useful if it is shared!"

Author: Denmark Weatherburne
  INET: denmark_weatherburne_at_hotmail.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Oct 01 2001 - 17:39:30 CDT