insert/select French problem ???

From: Leslie Lu <leslie_y_lu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 09:39:04 -0700

Hi, all

I posted an email about insert French characterset problem days ago. Here is what I got right now: The db is 817 running on Sun 5.6, and I use a sqlplus 815 running on NT4.0 to access the database.

If I do insert and select from sqlplus client, everything looks fine:

SQL> insert into test values ('â');

1 row created.

SQL> select * from test;

ID

Then I logon using sqlplus on unix to do a select, and got:

SQL> select * from test;

ID

I copied "insert into test values ('â');" into sqlplus in Unix, the statement became "insert into test values ('b');"

It could be a Unix problem? But our Sybase DBA show me the exact same statement on Sybase running on the same Sun 5.6, the French character can be inserted/selected perfectly.

Below is our characterset settings:
  PARAMETER VALUE

  NLS_LANGUAGE AMERICAN
  NLS_TERRITORY AMERICA
  NLS_CURRENCY $
  NLS_ISO_CURRENCY AMERICA
  NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS .,
  NLS_CHARACTERSET UTF8
  NLS_CALENDAR GREGORIAN
  NLS_DATE_FORMAT DD-MON-YY
  NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE AMERICAN
  NLS_SORT BINARY
  NLS_TIME_FORMAT HH.MI.SSXFF AM
  NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT DD-MON-YY HH.MI.SSXFF AM
  NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZH:TZM
  NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT DD-MON-YY HH.MI.SSXFF AM
TZH:T
  NLS_DUAL_CURRENCY $
  NLS_COMP
  NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET UTF8

I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

Leslie

Do You Yahoo!?
Listen to your Yahoo! Mail messages from any phone. http://phone.yahoo.com

Author: Leslie Lu
  INET: leslie_y_lu_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Oct 01 2001 - 11:39:04 CDT