Re: stripes or separate spindles

From: Charlie Mengler <charliem_at_mwh.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:17:19 -0700

My take on the trade-off between striping and RAID-1 is simple I believe in my ability to evenly distribute the total I/0 load across my available spindles better than I trust the hardware controller to do so. I always only use RAID-1. I simply do not accept the premise that RAID-0 (striping) data will result in better performance than RAID-1.

When using striped volumes to hold Oracle datafiles, you have minimal control WRT exactly what data resides on which spindle. In theory & in round numbers a RAID-0 volume consisting of 3 spindles should be able to sustain & support three times the I/O rate of a single volume and an I/O rate equal to 3 RAID-1 volumes. However situations can occur where the "hot data" on a RAID-0 volume all resides on a single spindle and the effective I/O rate is the same as a single RAID-1 volume.

Simply put I/O throughput is a ZERO-SUM game. There is a maximum rate which can be met & sustained, all due to physical limitations inherent within the existing design & implementation. This means that striping (RAID-0) can NEVER give better than with RAID-1. I say this because on RAID-1 the data can be distributed across the volumes the same way it gets distributed by the RAID-0 controller or software volume manager & so equal performance by RAID-1 & RAID-0 can always be obtained.

HTH & YMMV! Ruth Gramolini wrote:

> There will be 2 controllers on the box. There will be one huge file system
> for the databases. It will have 7mirrored 36gig spindles in the space.
>
> Ruth

Charlie Mengler                            Maintenance Warehouse
charliem_at_mwh.com                           10641 Scripps Summit Ct.
858-831-2229                               San Diego, CA 92131
United WE Stand!                           Justice WILL Be Served!
Author: Charlie Mengler
  INET: charliem_at_mwh.com