Re: Network Appliance Options

From: satar naghshineh <satarnag_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 17:06:10 -0700

Hi Kathy,

I attended a meeting with NetApp's Database Marketing Manager 2 to 3 years ago. I discussed with him on how the technology of the NetApp filer works with Oracle database environments and why he feels that NetApp is a solution for Oracle databases. The meeting was a result of me not supporting NetApp in any Oracle environment.

To keep a long story short, here is what I learned and now believe:
At that time, what was told to us by him was that they (NetApp) were not ready to be pushed in the market of OLTP type of databases because of performance limitations of network systems.

I learned that NetApp is a valid (maybe not the best solution) storage solutions for data warehouses and databases where performance is not a critical requirement.

NetApp is an expensive solution compared to other storage solution providers. The markup on hard drives alone were insane. However, the administration of the netapp filer was very easy to understand and perform.

Regards,
Satar

Do You Yahoo!?
Author: satar naghshineh