Re: Installing 8.1.7

From: Charlie Mengler <charliem_at_mwh.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:07:21 -0700

The conventional wisdom is to use sizes around 128K, 4M, & 128M. If you do the math each is 32 times larger than the previous. This means that an object that starts with a single 128K extent will have 32 extents when it reaches 4MB. From my perspective, it seems reasonable to "migrate" this object when the number of it extents is 17 - 48; which is NO where near 500. The same factors are involved for an object that starts as a single 4MB extent. Of course you can wait until an object is comprised of hundreds of extents & likely will not have any negative impact on database response time or performance.

HTH & YMMV! Mark Leith wrote:

> I got a theory question.. Just because I'm not going to be putting it in to
> practice myself really :0)
>
> When using all of the below (LMT & UNIFORM EXTENTS, with the default
> recommended extent sizes):
>
> How do you determine the max size a table should be for a particular extent
> size? Do any of you adopt a method of saying:
>
> Right, once a table reaches 500 extents, then it should be moved to a larger
> extent TS?
>
> Mark

Charlie Mengler                            Maintenance Warehouse
charliem_at_mwh.com                           10641 Scripps Summit Ct.
858-831-2229                               San Diego, CA 92131
United WE Stand!                           Justice WILL Be Done!
Author: Charlie Mengler
  INET: charliem_at_mwh.com