Re: need insights :where to go 3 tierd or client server

From: Peter McLarty <peter.mclarty_at_incts.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 06:11:33 -0700

Let me try and give some ideas

Firstly 3-tier is very good if you take the time to firstly understand what it is about and why you use it.

On the server with the db you have all of the constraint logic to manage the data integrity
On the middle tier you have all business logic for the system and on the third tier or client you have the simple data logic like checking that you only enter a date in a date field on the form.

Also if you app has not been designed to be like the above then you need to go back and redesign or you wont gain anything out of 3-tier

You probably want to have a network health check to find out what other traffic is on your network.

If previously you had only host connections then you almost certainly have a network issue.

You might need to have a look at the performance of both the app server and the db server to see what performance figures you have.

HTH Peter

Author: Peter McLarty
  INET: peter.mclarty_at_incts.com