RE: EMC BCV Splits and Hot Backup mode.

From: Koivu, Lisa <lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:04:00 -0700

Hi Glenn,

Are your arclogs & redologs on the bcv?

Think of it in the same manner as a hot backup - what if there was a large data load going at the time of the split.  There's no guarantee as to what data changes will make it on what mirror if you are splitting it.  Hot backup mode ensures data will not be lost by writing in blocks to the redologs.   Of course I am assuming your logs are not on bcv's.

At least that's the way we did it at my last employer.  If you have the facilities to try it with and without backup mode, that would be a really fun test...  unfortuanately I don't even have a Unix box  ;(

Lisa Koivu
Oracle Database Administrator
Fairfield Resorts, Inc.
954-935-4117

Author: Glenn Travis
  INET: Glenn.Travis_at_sas.com

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Sep 24 2001 - 12:04:00 CDT