Re[3]: Oracle Recovery from Cold backup.

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 05:38:33 -0700

dvc> I have a "what if" question.
dvc> Say you had a complete cold backup, including control files from a few days
dvc> ago.
dvc> You also had all the archive logs for the past few days.
dvc> Today you lost your server and had to recover.
dvc> You lay down all the database files, including the control files.

If you restore the control files, then you can't apply the archive logs. (That's to the best of my knowledge) I have, however, used cold backups as the basis for recovering databases running in archive log mode. The process I used was always to restore the datafiles and issue the recover command.

You also don't want to restore the online redo logs. I did that once by mistake during a practice recovery. Fortunately it was practice on a test instance<grin>.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick
mailto:jonathan_at_gennick.com * 906.387.1698 http://Gennick.com * http://MichiganWaterfalls.com * http://MetalDrums.org

Author: Jonathan Gennick
  INET: jonathan_at_gennick.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Sep 24 2001 - 07:38:33 CDT