RE: Two Instances at one oracle Server

From: <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:33:29 -0700

LOL. You want be to give up all my secrets? OK. You also have a maintenance listener which is not on ONAMES or the user's TNSNAMES.ORA. Your DBA group keeps working without worrying about stepping on users or having users lock objects. It's simplistic but it works great if your DBA group is geographically distributed.

                    JOE TESTA

                    <JTESTA_at_longab        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

                    erger.com>            <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

                    Sent by:              cc:

                    root_at_fatcity.c        Subject:     RE: Two Instances at one oracle

                    om                    Server

                    09/20/2001

                    12:52 PM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

ok i give, what is the difference between

1.  shutting down a listener
2.  alter database enable restricted session where only the DBAs have restricted session.

and without a listener, the local connected people can still connect to the database, so you've only stoppped remote connections by stopping the listener.

joe

>>> tday6_at_csc.com 09/20/01 12:20PM >>>

True.  However, I find it useful to have one listener per instance so that I can restrict access to an instance without having to alter the database.

                     Nirmal  Kumar
                     Muthu Kumaran         To:     Multiple recipients of
list ORACLE-L
                     <NIRMALK_at_qtel         <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                     .com.qa>              cc:
                     Sent by:              Subject:     RE: Two Instances
at one oracle
                     root_at_fatcity.         Server
                     com
                     09/20/2001
                     11:30  AM
                     Please
                     respond  to
                     ORACLE-L

No.. Not necessary for more listeners.
One listener is enough to listen many servers.

Nirmal.

Please see the  official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com
Author: Nirmal  Kumar  Muthu Kumaran
  INET: NIRMALK_at_qtel.com.qa

Fat City  Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858)  538-5051
San Diego, California        --  Public Internet access / Mailing  Lists
also send the HELP command for  other information (like subscribing).