Re: Where to put your redo logs

From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 04:57:22 -0700

Interestingly I had the luxury of playing with a out-of-the-box Solaris server the other day, so (whilst I was meant to be configuring it :-) ), I played around with raw volumes under plain old disk partitions (no veritas, no sds etc).

Using straight 'dd' to copy 100m or so, partitions starting at cylinder 1 ran about 20-25% faster than starting at cylinder 7000 (I think) on an 18G 10000rpm.

So I smacked some redo logs on the low cylinders , then the high ones, and crunched away as hard as I could (in noachivelog). I got about 8-10% improvement in performance - I didn't bother to do any further analysis, I'm guessing the reduction in gain was due to other work the db had to do other then just lgwr.

The box is gone now - so I can't repeat the test. Still, for an high update db, it does reinforce the ol' log files on dedicated disks on the outer bits argument.

Cheers
Connor

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

Do You Yahoo!?
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=
  INET: hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk