RE: RDA from OWS - anyone used it?

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:20:18 -0700

Bruce and List,

> probably nothing that you wouldn't be collecting anyway
Yup, it's pretty lightweight as a database monitoring tool... but I don't think that was the intent. When you consider everything they've brought together it makes a decent system documentation tool... especially from a support perspective. It balls everything up into a zipped tar file which you can move to a web server or upload to Oracle for analysis. With this info an OWS dweeb (or other user) can point and click and see a ton of info about your server configuration and site performance. Since Oracle has made this available via Metalink should we anticipate that it will become an often used and sometimes required component of support? They wouldn't call it "Remote Diagnostic AGENT" for nothing. Of course there's nothing conspiratorial here since Oracle has our interests at heart.

Are the Unix/Linux implementations similar to the Windows implementation? For Unix/Linux the rda.sh script generates HTML with expandable javascript menus for:

1) "OS Setup" with 12 expandable links or sub-menus;
2) "Network," 10 expandable links;
3) Performance, 3 links (and pretty weak);
4) "Web Server," 8 links; and
5) "RDBMS," 14 links.

The links point to other files also generated by the rda.sh script and some of these "reports" are fairly extensive. I've looked at the scripts developed by Oracle and I don't like the fact that it stores a DBA password in an ascii file. Comments in Oracle's code indicate that it is meant to modular so it can be further built upon. In other words, it sounds like Oracle is committed to an ongoing development effort for the RDA toolset.

> I also will be interested in other's comments.
Yeah, me too. I guess there hasn't been much feedback on this post because RDA is so new. Take a look at what's coming down the road fellow DBA's. Of course they want us to beta test it for them. :-)

Steve Orr

Author: Orr, Steve
  INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com