Re:RE: Determining Oracle status

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 13:19:49 -0700

The problem with using tnsping is that it only tells you if the listener is up and running which is a lot different from the listener and database being functional.

Dick Goulet

Author: Haunschmidt Andreas VASL/FAS <Andreas.Haunschmidt_at_voest.co.at>
Date:       9/18/2001 10:40 AM

Hi Barry!

We use the Oracle supplied program tnsping as in the following shell script snippet :

#!/bin/sh

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/$ORACLE_HOME/bin
export PATH
# get SQL*NET alias from first argument or use ORCL as default oradb=${1:ORCL}

if $ORACLE_HOME/bin/tnsping $oradb >/dev/null 2>&1 then

        echo "database $oradb is up"
else

        echo "database $oradb is down ( tnsping returned $?)" fi

Hope this helps,

        Andreas

Author: Haunschmidt Andreas VASL/FAS
  INET: Andreas.Haunschmidt_at_voest.co.at

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com