RE: Copy Oracle's binary.

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 19:46:19 -0700

This becomes a bit easier when ORACLE_BASE is set to ORACLE_HOME before installing the Oracle 8i software. This way, one can sepatate the oraInventory directory related to a particular version of 8i/9i. I also like to keep the OUI directory within the particular ORACLE_HOME. I have installed 8.1.6/8.1.7/9.0.1 on a couple of servers using this method. I have not had any problems copying the entire ORACLE_HOME (8.1.7) to another binary compatible server. In addition, copying the /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc file that has the directory name for the oraInventory location is helpful. When applying any patches to a particular verion of 8i, simply modify this name in the oraInst.loc file to point to the correct oraInventory directory. This will keep all versions of 8i/9i clean.

Refer to Note:134076.1 on Metalink for more information...

HTH, Regards,

Author: Deshpande, Kirti
  INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com