RE: Looking for 24 X 7 Design Considerations

From: Charlie Mengler <charliem_at_mwh.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 17:28:39 -0700

Just so folks do NOT get the wrong idea, let me clarify. Please note I said "a production" database. It is not "THE Production Database"; which is still firmly planted in V7.3.4.5. I've taken a few limited activity tablespaces up to 9i to take advantage of 8i features; such as partitioning. I, too would be hesitant to move into Production code that makes use of 9i Bleeding Edge features. However I am perfectly comfortable with moving V7 code onto a tested 9i DB. Since our tests showed a stable DB, I moved directly to 9i to avoid doing multiple upgrades over the next 6 - 12 months.

As always, YMMV, so please be sure to test until you are comfortable with 9i's stability for your situation. If your tests with 9i fail, then obviously 9i is not for you. If exhaustive tests show NO problems with 9i, then I see no reason to avoid using it; even if it is considered a DOT-ZERO release. If you upgrade without exhaustive testing, then I hope I don't own any stock in your company.

Author: Charlie Mengler
  INET: charliem_at_mwh.com