Re: The DBA in the IS organization

From: The Oracle DBA <theoracledba_at_lycos.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 08:17:28 -0700

Hi,

If you are a DBA and your boss is in charge of development, it will be hard for the manager to be fair about change management since there will always be the 'we need to get this in today, we will fix problems tomorrow' conflict. Good DBAs postpone changes until everything is checked and ready (way past just the column add) and the change is checked against other apps, the OS, etc.

I suggest that if you do DBA work 75% or more of your time you get your title changed. That way you and your boss are clear about your job/tasks/priorities.

Cheers,

Earl

---

TheOracleDBA
theoracledba_at_lycos.com

Make a difference, help support the relief efforts in the U.S. http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: The Oracle DBA INET: theoracledba_at_lycos.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).