RE: The DBA in the IS organization

From: Christopher Spence <cspence_at_FuelSpot.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 06:13:04 -0700

Here I am under IT, or as we call it Techops. I think that is a great mistake, dba's should be under development, unless of course you're a production dba. My job, I am both, but since I am under Techops, there I a big delay between when development starts on something, and when the dba is involved, generally after the project is finished. It has burned us many times in the past, I have root access to the Unix database, and generally do 100% of the unix and oracle requirements, the SA generally works with the Web Logic and web server boxes.

I think where you fit in the organization depends on which skills you bring to the table and the job requirements are, I am very comfortable coding in most languages and prefer to be on the development side of things, while a great number prefer to be on the production side of things.

"Do not criticize someone until you walked a mile in their shoes, that way when you criticize them, you are a mile a way and have their shoes."

Christopher R. Spence
Oracle DBA
Phone: (978) 322-5744
Fax: (707) 885-2275

Fuelspot
73 Princeton Street
North, Chelmsford 01863

Author: Farnsworth, Dave
  INET: DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com

Author: Christopher Spence
  INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Sep 17 2001 - 08:13:04 CDT