Re: The DBA in the IS organization

From: Stephen Andert <StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 14:52:08 -0700

At my last job, my supervisor reported to the Manager of IT as did the manager of AppDev. Where I am now, there are so many levels of damanagement (ok some of them are managers not DAmanagers) that all I know is that the AppDevs, SAs and DBAs all report to a different VP. So when a group doesn't want to cooperate, it's pretty easy for them to hold up the show. But there are some groups of SAs, DBAs and AppDevs that work towards a common goal and don't let the overhead of management get in our way.

And I'm logging in from home just to do some preventative maintenance. Whoever made the comment about VPN is right... it makes long hours and on-call tolerable.

Have a nice weekend.

Stephen

>>> DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com 09/15 4:55 AM >>>
I am wondering how my fellow DBA's fit into their IS organization. My situation is this. I was hired just a little over a year ago as a DBA but my official title is network programmer. Except for some job scripting I have not done any coding. I am the only DBA for 5 Oracle databases and 4 SQL Server installations. Currently my boss is the head of development. I work with the developers and with the network admins equally. I sometimes feel a bit of a conflict with me being under the developers. I have been thinking about approaching the VP of IS about having me be under him rather than being under development. I feel I need to have equal footing with the development managers and with the network admins. Right now I am kind in limbo with no real authority.
So anyway, I am just wondering where you fit in your organization and what is the appropriate place for the DBA.
And yes I got called into work. Sucks to be me today. :o)

Thanks,

Dave

Author: Farnsworth, Dave
  INET: DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com

Author: Stephen Andert
  INET: StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com