RE: Apps 11i and Developer suggestions to get up to speed quickly

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:44:38 -0700

!! Please do not post Off Topic to this List !!

Kathy,

I won't comment on the 'Developer' part as things have changed a *lot* since I was a 'Developer' DBA in a past life :) However, seeing that I currently call myself an 'Applications DBA' since I deal with a mix of Apps 10.7/11.0.3/11.5.3, I guess I can comment on this. I moved last year from a pure DBA position to an Apps type position and hence am still learning.....

First off - implementing Apps 11i afresh is no mean feat. Apart from the need for a lot of Functional folks (who map what the user wants to specific Apps modules and screens) and Technical folks (who setup the modules under the direction of the Func. team as well as develop customizations), you will need some technical 'Apps' DBA assistance during the setup and initial phase of the project. Your organization cannot afford not to have these folks, and they constitute the bulk of the $$ spent on the project (read : they don't come cheap!). Oracle I believe still has a 'fixed cost' implementation plan, but they will still be costlier than doing it via a large number of smaller organizations that do this sort of thing.

As far as DBA goes, you need to develop skills that are aptly described as 'Internet DBA skills' by Oracle. These skills are essential for managing the Apps Technology stack which (at this time) includes the Apache server, Java Servlets, Web-based stuff, Apps' Concurrent Manager, etc. This should be covered in the Apps Sys Admin class. Alert class is optional, but if you have the budget, go for it!

Prior, during and after implementation, your life will be filled with patching, patching and more patching of Apps. So much so that it is worth getting a Database Baby Sitter (Jr.DBA) who can blindly apply patch after patch... (there are literally hundreds depending on the number of languages and modules). You will also learn / apply the fine art of Apps cloning - copying and modifying a lot of files.... I would suggest employing a knowledgeable Apps DBA contractor to help in the initial setup and config. You can then learn on the job and take over at a later point in time.

You should also take up membership in OAUG (Oracle Application User Group) - a free list such as this is available specifically for Apps DBA. Browse for details at http://www.oaug.org

All the best and Hth,
John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA