more PeopleSoft8 oddities

From: Henry Poras <Henry.Poras_at_ctp.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:54:25 -0700

!! Please do not post Off Topic to this List !!

As promised, they just keep coming. Our system was churning out tons of archive logs (at least for us). It was generating about 40-50M an hour at a fairly constant clip throughout the day. We are nowhere near a 24 hour shop so this wasn't user load. It also wasn't scheduled batch jobs (and anyway, those should have shown spikes in log generation). My guess was some wierd chattiness of the application.

I took 9 different archive logs ( 3 groups of 3 from different light times. 1,3,4am from 2 days) and loaded them into logminer. I was hoping the same object(s) were being hit over and over again and I could find that via logminer. I also checked to make sure this happened over all loaded logfiles. No such luck, BUT there were only ~2300 DML operations and more than 100,000 commits (about 10/sec). The session_info field in v$logmnr_contents pointed to 3 PeopleSoft processes: PSBRKDSP, PSSUBDSP, PSPUBDSP (I'm glad peoplesoft adds this to their session info). Going to v$sesstat I found that the bulk of 'redo entries', 'redo size', and 'user commits' came from 3 SIDs (The size of user commits was consistent with the 10commits/sec rate, and v$session matched these sids with the same 3 peoplesoft processes).

Time for a SQL trace. There were basically 2 pieces of SQL being run over and over (slightly different for each process). A count of 'log file sync' waits in the trace file again matched the commit rate. The SQL for one of the processes was:

        SELECT TO_CHAR(LASTUPDDTTM,'YYYY-MM-DD-HH24.MI.SS."000000"') FROM PSAPMSGSUBCSYNC WHERE CHNLNAME=:1
        SELECT CHNLLOCK FROM PSAPMSGSUBCLOCK WHERE CHNLNAME=:1 FOR UPDATE OF CHNLLOCK

        Where the bind variables include
                ACTUAL_TIME
                APE_INDUSTRY
                BANK
                BUDGET_POSITION
                COMMIT_CNTRL_BUDGET_UPDATE
                COMPANY_PROPERTY
                COMPETENCY

Surprisingly Customer Connection had something on this. It is the default behavior of the Publish/Subscribe feature when configuring the application server. The suggestion is to "turn off the Broker servers if your not using them. You can reduce the time interval for which the brokers check in for work... this will reduce the amount of logging but will not eliminate it. To change the Scan interval edit your Domain configuration file, through psadmin, and change the following variable in the dispatcher sections [PSBRKDSP_dflt (publication broker dispatcher), PSSUBDSP_dflt (subscription contract dispatcher) and PSPUBDSP_dflt (publication contract dispatcher)] Scan Interval=10 (currently set to 10 seconds... this is the interval at which the dispatchers check into the database looking for work) "

Hope this helps. I'm sure they'll be more installments coming.

Henry

Author: Henry Poras
  INET: Henry.Poras_at_ctp.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Sep 14 2001 - 15:54:25 CDT