RE: OPS instalation - pretty urgent

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 11:52:18 -0700

!! Please do not post Off Topic to this List !!

Gopal et al,

One of the main differences between Oracle on HP-UX/Solaris/Sequent and Oracle on IBM is their use of the Post-wait driver which uses a 'test-and-set' lightweight mechanisn instead of semaphores. The other difference (in this OS memory structure area) is that Shared Memory segments need not be configured - there is of course an internal limit. I have never encountered this limit though). This greatly reduces the risk of having to restart the OS when adding databases to an existing box and the /etc/system needs to be changed.

I don't want to start on the ease/strength/maturity of AIX's Logical Volume Manager lest I trigger off a your-OS-vs-mine war!

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DB Soft Inc
Work : (408) 970 7002