64 bit vs 32 bit Oracle

From: Steve Rospo <srospo_at_watchmark.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 11:50:50 -0700

!! Please do not post Off Topic to this List !!

Is there any benefit of 64 bit versions over 32 bit versions of Oracle beyond allowing > 2GB SGAs? (8.1.7/Solaris 2.8 in particular) The systems I'm working with are predominantly DSS queries against data sets that most of the servers have no hope of caching anywhere near the amount of data needed so huge SGAs are not that useful. Our C++ guys tell me that Sun reccommends that compiling 64 bit binaries for processes that might take advantage of the larger memory limit. The logic being that 64 bit pointers take up twice as much space as 32 bit pointers and the processor cache density is thus lower for 64 bit processes.

Does anyone know if there is any additional trickery Oracle does on the 64-bit port that may provide performance benefits that would outweigh the potential for lower cache hit rates? Magic data structures? _make_sql_faster support?

S-

Author: Steve Rospo
  INET: srospo_at_watchmark.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Sep 14 2001 - 13:50:50 CDT