Re: Automanagement of extent sizing

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:26:43 -0700

!! Please do not post Off Topic to this List !!

Prior to the advent of 8i, uniform extents had to be enforced through making sure that every extent in a given tablespace was the same size by using appropriate values in the storage clause in effect at the time of object creation. The easiest method was to just set initial = next and pctincrease = 0 in the tablespace default storage clause and prohibit the use of these particular parameters in individual object creation scripts. The DBA often had to review all object creation scripts and remove/fix any offending parameters. (When using Designer, I could run custom scripts against the API to do the "cleanup" though.) LMTs and the ability to declaratively enforce "uniform extents" eliminated this grunge work. Now we just have to decide which tablespace is appropriate.

-Don Granaman
[OraSaurus - Honk if you remember UFI!]

PS: When others heard about this, they often replied "But SMON won't coalesce free space if pctincrease=0 at the tablespace level!". My universal reply: "Good! I don't want it to!"

Author: Don Granaman
  INET: granaman_at_home.com