FW:Using Oracle tools to automate hot backups...

From: Denmark Weatherburne <denmark_weatherburne_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:04:21 -0700

!! Please do not post Off Topic to this List !!

Hi DBA's

First, as a Belizean/American, I'd like to share my sympathy for those touched by the terrorist attack on the US and anger towards the cowards who would go to such extremes to achieve their goals. Life is real. Life is a journey, we must complete it. Peace!!

We are running Oracle 8.0.5 on NT in ARCHIVELOGMODE. I recently scheduled three daily hot backups to disk. The process is as follows:
1.) Perl script moves the old backup folders and creates the three daily folders that hold the hot backups to disk

2.) Batch file runs SQL script to display the Archive Log information
3.) SQL scripts called by .bat files, execute the hot backups by tablespace
4.) Batch file runs SQL script to display the Archive Log information
The process is not completely automated however. Nevertheless, these scripts are called by the Windows NT Scheduler from My Computer.

Of course, they only work if the machine is turned on. It appears that if I move the system date back the scheduler gets confused and submissions fail.
I want to pursue the option of setting up these tasks using the Oracle OEM / RMAN or DBMS_JOB tools. Please advise me on the most efficient and effective tool for this process.

Thanks in advance,

Denmark Weatherburne
Belize

"Knowledge is power, but it is only useful if it is shared!"

Author: Denmark Weatherburne
  INET: denmark_weatherburne_at_hotmail.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Sep 14 2001 - 12:04:21 CDT