RE: Lots and lots of redo logs

From: Bill Buchan <wbuchan_at_uk.intasys.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:26:44 -0700

!! Please do not post Off Topic to this List !!

How big a performance issue is the location of the log file on disk? Even if I create the minimum of 2 archive log groups, how can I be sure the controller hasn't put these on the outer platters anyway? Since these are log files then the writes will be sequential anyway (does that make a difference?) - showing my hardware ignorance here!

As you said:

"But in my opinion here is my priorities. 1. Recoverability
2. Performance"

I would have thought that having lots of archive log groups (normally) not overwritten for a few days in addition to properly archived logs would boost my recoverability with negligible impact on performance. (Incidentally the MAXLOGFILES maximum value is 255, on Linux anyway).

Thanks
- Bill.

Author: Bill Buchan
  INET: wbuchan_at_uk.intasys.com