Re: Data Warehouse/weekly loads

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 23:41:41 -0700

!! Please do not post Off Topic to this List !!If this is really a "separate database", not just a "separate instance" (i.e. OPS), then there may not be any "really good" options. You still have to move the new data to the "other" database. Replication MIGHT work, but don't take it lightly! Transportable tablespaces, perhaps in conjunction with partitioning, might also work. (And might work really slick with something like EMC BCV's or "transportable" split disk mirrors to move the datafiles about!) What might work best will depend on some unmentioned factors. Are any of the "dynamic tables" the same tables that are being loaded weekly? Is there any essential referential integrity between those two sets of tables? How current must the "dynamic" data be in the database where the weekly loads take place? How large are the dynamic tables? Can they just be totally replaced in the loading database once a week? Are you appending the tables with your weekly loads or replacing them?

On the other hand, if it is really only a "different instance" in an OPS environment, no data movement is necessary. I have done this using a new partition for each of the weekly loads - where the tables being bulk loaded were not also dynamic. That might work well - depending on the implications of rebuilding any global indexes on the partitioned table(s). (I had the luxury of doing the weekly bulk loads and index creation on weekends, during the dead of night, when the users were fast asleep.)

-Don Granaman
[certifiable Orasaurus]

Author: Don Granaman
  INET: granaman_at_home.com