TERRORIST ACTS

From: Mohan, Ross <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:25:03 -0700

This Reuters report is spot on accurate from my seat, in downtown DC, about five blocks from White House.

I am going out to have another look now, and will report back, but.... ...I have NEVER seen anything like this...people are shocked...there is NO "business as usual" attitude here.

more later......

##########
Panic Reigns on Washington Streets
Reuters
Sep 11 2001 11:31AM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Panic-stricken Washington pedestrians froze in their tracks when they heard the whir of a plane overhead on Tuesday after plane attacks demolished New York's World Trade Center and damaged the Pentagon. Washington workers flooded the streets near the White House and elsewhere after all federal buildings were ordered evacuated and other businesses shut down. But some people seemed bewildered about what to do next.

"I'm totally freaked out. Hearing the plane going over my head was
frightening," Elissa Brainard, 29, told Reuters as she joined the 150 yard line to get her car from the parking garage.

But even with her car, Brainard faced a long wait to get home, as gridlock hit Washington's roads.

Drivers ran red lights and sped across intersections, sending pedestrians scattering. Police near the White House tried to direct traffic, but a few blocks away chaos reigned, thwarting the efforts of emergency vehicles.

Wailing sirens from fire engines, police patrols and ambulances mingled with car horns, whistles and human cries.

"Everything is going crazy. People are getting so stressed out," one office
worker said.

CELLULAR TELEPHONE MELTDOWN Pedestrians hurried away from the federal quarter and clutched cellular telephones to their ears, desperately trying to reach loved ones. But cellular telephone networks seemed to be disrupted and people began to line up at public phones.

"I'm terrified. We tried to call on the cellphone but they weren't working,"
office assistant Val Thornton said.

Thornton, whose commuter bus takes her past the Pentagon to her Virginia home, did not know how she would get out of the city.

Author: Mohan, Ross
  INET: MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com