Re:Licensing??

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:39:22 -0700

Walter,

    First question, where are all of the astrological signs? Their needed to understand Oracle's pricing schemes in the first place.

    Now names users is exactly that. You have to be able to put an employee name next to a database connection, as I understand it. Since it sounds like you application will be using an application server of some sorts this is a no-no.

    The other licensing scheme is per cpu which allows unlimited connections.

    Concurrent licenses have become extinct. But then there is always the 'ideas' your sales rep is likely to come up with.

Dick Goulet

Author: Walter K <alden14004_at_yahoo.com>
Date:       9/10/2001 7:00 AM

Hi,

Can someone explain how the named-user licensing works? Also, has concurrent usage licensing gone away?

We have a need for an additional database to use for mapping/geo-coding purposes. The primary application will periodically perform a query against this new database to "look up" some mapping info. Essentially, the application will always maintain a handful of sessions to the mapping database. It may perform the lookup as often as 10 times an hour. The new database will essentially be read-only.

The docs say NOT to allow the sharing of usernames for multiple concurrent users. Although the application may be hosting several users, no more than a handful would ever need to get data from the mapping database thus the idea of going cheap by buying say 5-10 named user licenses.

It seems that for a few $K that I could accomplish what I want with the database using named-user licensing rather than dropping $14K for a single-CPU license (2yr). We may also want to go with a dual-cpu box which would mean another $14k!

Am I treading a thin line here? I hope this makes sense.

As always, your feedback is appreciated!

-w

Do You Yahoo!?
Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with Yahoo! Messenger http://im.yahoo.com

Author: Walter K
  INET: alden14004_at_yahoo.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Sep 10 2001 - 10:39:22 CDT