RE: How to organize oracle directories in Unix ?

From: Walthour, Jon (GEAE, Compaq) <Jon.walthour_at_ae.ge.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 04:48:38 -0700

CHAN: If I'm wrong, please correct me, but if you're talking about where to put things for performance reasons and you're using a RAID 5 configuration, then it doesn't make any difference. With a RAID 5 configuration, as I remember, is striped with parity and all the disks are seen as one big volume. Assuming all this is true, it doesn't matter where you put the files in which case I would suggest putting them all under the same directory structure for easy management.

If, however, we are talking about separate disks/controllers, here are few file placement perf tuning tips I've come to learn with regard to your questions:

> Is there any disadvantage if I put the redo log file and control file in
different
> directories but in the same mount point ?

Yes, redo logs are essential to recovery. The speed at which redo logs can be written to in many ways determines has a direct impact on the overall performance of the database. Therefore, redo logs should put redo logs on their own devices.

> Is there any disadvantage if I put the rollback segment data file together
with my
> data file in the same directory ?

For the same reasoning above, rollback segments should be on their own devices since inserts, updates and deletes will normally require writing to rollback as well.

> Is there any disadvantage if I put the tablespace data file together with
my temp
> tablespace data file in the same directory ?

Again, the issue here is contention. If you are selecting a large amount of data from a particular table in a particular tablespace and the data must be sorted and that sort must use the sort segment in the temporary tablespace, you don't want that sorting to be utilizing the same controller/disk(s) as the selecting does. Otherwise, you could end up with a I/O performance bottleneck.

List, if I'm wrong here, please correct me.

Jon Walthour

Author: CHAN Chor Ling Catherine (CSC)
  INET: clchan_at_nie.edu.sg

command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: Walthour, Jon (GEAE, Compaq)
  INET: Jon.walthour_at_ae.ge.com