RE: Logging into Windows 2000 "Advanced" Server

From: Walthour, Jon (GEAE, Compaq) <Jon.walthour_at_ae.ge.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 20:29:28 -0700

The ORA-1113 message suggests that you have a file that needs media recovery, which makes sense considering the abrupt shutdown. Instead of opening the database, mount it first through SVRMGRL, the type "recover database". You may be asked for some archive logs if you're in archivelog mode. Just follow the directions that Oracle provides. You should be able to do a full recovery if the file is not permanently damaged. My guess is that the db may just be out of sync and media recovery will just get things back in sync. After the media recovery finishes, run "alter database open".

To do this, go to a command prompt and type "set" to see all your environment variables. To use SVRMGRL, you need to set your ORACLE_SID variable. To do this, enter "set ORACLE_SID=<your oracle sid goes here>". The run SVRMGRL, connect internal, and mount the database. Then recover it and open it. For example:

C:\>set oracle_sid=mydb

C:\>svrmgrl

Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.7.0.0 - Production

Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.2.1 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.7.2.1 - Production

SVRMGR> connect internal
Connected.
SVRMGR> startup mount
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area                         52193308 bytes
Fixed Size                                          75804 bytes
Variable Size                                    10342400 bytes
Database Buffers                                 41697280 bytes
Redo Buffers                                        77824 bytes
Database mounted.
SVRMGR>recover database
Database recovered. (There may be more to this step to do any media recovery.)
SVRMGR> alter database open;
Statement processed.
SVRMGR> ... and on you go ...

Hope this helps.

Jon Walthour

Author: Walthour, Jon (GEAE, Compaq)
  INET: Jon.walthour_at_ae.ge.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sat Sep 08 2001 - 22:29:28 CDT