RE: Interesting News..

From: Stephen Andert <StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 13:15:54 -0700

In fact today's Wall Street Journal quotes HP's CEO as saying the Compaq name will go away.  I guess running it into the ground would take too much time so she is just going to abandon the Compaq name.  They did say they plan to keep some of the "valuable sub-brands" like Presario.

We currently only have HP-UX and Tru64 so it looks like one way or another if this deal goes through we will be affected.
FWIW

Stephen

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me or drop me a note.

Stephen Andert480-445-2506>>>
JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com 09/05/01 12:01PM >>>More agreement.  How many companies did AT&T buy only to drive them into theground? How much advantage did Compaq take of the impressive Alphatechnology?  These mega mergers rarely produce anything much.Unless the HP strategy is to run Compaq's product line into the ground somore people turn to the HP products.  That one might work...Jay Miller-----Original Message-----Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 7:16 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LI agree. First of all there is no certainty that the marriage will everbe consummed (there has been a lot of corporate engagement break-ups inthe past years. Remember GE/Honeywell, Jack Welch's apotheosis? Germanand French banks? Pharmacy?). There's too much overlap between the two(all those small NT servers ...), it will definitely translate intojob-axing, bitterness, and a lot of people fleeing the companies (notthe worst ones usually), which seldom has the best of effects oncustomers (there has been a time, during the Compaq/Digital merger, whenin the whole greater Paris area there was ONE field-engineer to changecontrollers and the like for Alpha servers. Fortunate that MTBF ishigh). I am ready to bet that before long it will be such a mess,whether the merger goes ahead or doesn't, that Ms Fiorina will bethanked with a handsome cheque and that champagne will flow at Sun andIBM. In comparison, DaimlerChrysler will look like a major successstory.S Faroult.Guy Hammond wrote:> > On the contrary, I'd say this is a godsend for Sun. Compaq made a mess> of truly epic proportions when they tried to integrate DEC and Tandem> into their operations. HP did just as badly with Apollo. There are going> to be bitter turf wars between the HP/UX and Tru64 (or Ultrix or> whatever it's called this week) camps, Alpha and PA-RISC, ProLiant and> whatever HP's x86 servers are called, and so forth. Sun will walk right> in and clean up in the workstation and midrange markets. And, when it> comes to shifting x86 boxes, neither HP nor Compaq could match the> efficiency of Dell, and in a commodity market, operating efficiency is> all that matters. This merger will go down in corporate history as a> mistake of epic proportions.> > Of course, I'm in the Solaris camp, so take my words in context :0)> > g> > -----Original Message-----> Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 7:30 PM> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L> > I'm curious.  What happens to Tru64 or HP-UX?  One of> them's got to go, would'nt you think?  How about their> Unix servers?  I know they're both going to 64-bit> Itanium eventually, but can they support both product> lines?  Wonder how VAX/VMS is going to fare?  How does> this effect Sun?  I'd say this would have a negative> impact on Sun.> > It'll be interesting to see what product lines get cut> and which ones continue.   Should be fun to see how> things pan out over the next 12 to 18 months.>
<Jon.walthour_at_ae.ge.com> wrote:> > Jared:> >>
> It's the buzz of the office this morning. No one> > here seems to
have seen it> > coming.> >> > Jon Walthour>
Cincinnati, Ohio> >> > -----Original Message----->
> Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 12:33 PM> > To: Multiple
recipients of list ORACLE-L> >> >> >> > HP Acquiring Compaq?> >> > Yow!> >> >
That's big news!> >> > Anyone see this coming?  I would have never guessed.> >> > Jared> > On Tuesday 04 September 2001 07:02, Mark Leith> > wrote:> > > Thought this would interest you guys..> > >> > >> >>-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com-- Author: Stephane Faroult  INET: sfaroult_at_oriole.comFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing

REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com-- Author:
Miller, Jay  INET: JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.comFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Sep 05 2001 - 15:15:54 CDT