Veritas feature disable - Slightly OT

From: O'Neill, Sean <Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 01:40:30 -0700

I know this is probably a case of RTFM.... BUT, BUT, BUT, if it is relatively simple to answer please do. The tape backup software here is Veritas Backup Exec which is managed by someone else (job demarcation!). I don't use it or have experience of it. We've had the odd occurrence of SIDs crashing because the software was accessing say a Control file when Oracle wanted to use it. I've provided a list of locations of files that don't need to go to tape as we do disk-to-disk backups but some times the tape backup configurations get messed up and files creep back into sequence. I've heard there is a way to configure Veritas software so that it won't put a lock on a file which would cause Oracle SID to crash. So at long last my question is how do you configure it to do so?

Sean :)

Rookie Data Base Administrator
Oracle 7.3.3, 8.0.5, 8.1.7 - NT, W2K
[0%] OCP Oracle8i DBA
[0%] OCP Oracle9i DBA

"Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too." - BB King

Author: O'Neill, Sean
  INET: Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie