Re[2]: Notification when something changes in the DB

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 20:07:07 -0700

 Not so weird, PeopleSoft does things in a similar manner. When a panel in PeopleTools is queried a copy of the data is sent to the screen for modification. A second in retained in memory as the original version. When the user presses the 'save' button a third copy is retrieved from the database and compared to the second copy. If they match the modified data is saved to the database which was queried the second time 'for update of' so that a row level lock is established at that time. Now if the data had been modified this irratating message pop-up appears telling you that the underlying data has been modified & you have to start all over again.

In general letting Oracle handle the locking of data is the best way to go, so either acquire a 'for update' lock when you pull the data or do the double query if you really need it.

Dick Goulet

Author: John Lewis
  INET: jlewis_at_punchnetworks.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com