RE: !! Keeping the list alive

From: Miller, Jay <JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 12:31:03 -0700

I'll chime in with another story of a well handled downsizing from back in the mid-90s. When I was at Showtime we were told the previous week that layoffs would be announced the the following week. On Monday we were told it would be on Tuesday.
On Tuesday (humorously, 90% of the employees came in wearing black with no prior arrangement) everyone who was to be laid off got a phone call. We were then given an exit interview with

  1. The SVP of our department
  2. A human resources person who gave us the information on severance and applying for unemployment
  3. A representative of the outplacement firm that would be providing career and job hunt counseling for all downsized employees.

I was happy enough with my treatment that I came in for a few days after that just to help my former boss (she had nothing to do with the layoffs) with handing over everything I was working on and explaining the status of my projects. She resigned a few weeks later (I heard from various employees that most people were working till 9pm every night trying to get everything done with the smaller staff) and started her own business. I took my severance and unemployment, worked some temporary jobs and went to Columbia to do a career shift and study Oracle.

All in all, one of the best things that ever happened to me :).

Jay Miller

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

Author: Miller, Jay