Re: Duhvelopers and DB-ehs?

From: Marc Perkowitz <mperkowitz_at_twjconsulting.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 07:36:55 -0700

Ok, so right about the time Oracle 6 went production (we were a beta site), I was the lead DBA for a very large project that put retail store systems in around 1000 locations around the country (USA).  Each one of those locations had their own Oracle database on AT&T 3B2 Intel boxes.  I also supported development, testing, and QA too.  But the earliest versions of Oracle 6 had some database corruption problems -- not too often, say only once a year on the average.  However, multiplying that times 1000 yielded about 2 or 3 stores weekly!  I became very familar with workarounds for db corruptions -- those undocumented rollback init.ora parameters, how to find corrupt blocks and create dummy tables to hold them, etc.  We set up nightly exports to /dev/nul to find the corruption sooner than later.  Lots of scripts and plan A, B, C ... depending on where the corruption was.  Tape backups and mainframe downloads ... static data separated from dynamic data in different tablespaces and files.

During the most intense time period, hotels were booked and meals catered and we didn't leave the building complex for weeks.

Aren't all these stories fun!!?  (Though I'm happy to say I was never on another project that intense again!)
Marc Perkowitz.
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr

      [mailto:MohanR_at_stars-smi.com]Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001
      10:38 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list
      ORACLE-LSubject: RE: Duhvelopers and
      DB-ehs?
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>We do about the same number with 6 DBAs...
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>(not that that means sh*t without talking about the nature of the
      systems, of

course) Received on Tue Sep 04 2001 - 09:36:55 CDT