archive query

From: <grant.g.holyoake_at_centrelink.gov.au>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 00:27:09 -0700

Hi,

Can anyone explain how I can determine which objects and/or processes are causing logging/archiving to occur? I have a (large) database whereby all tables required to be populated with data on regular batch runs have been created with nologging. The tablespaces they reside on were also created with nologging. There are no constraints (eg triggers) on these tables that could possibly be invoking logging yet my archive destination directory is filling up on a regular basis with unknown archived data!!

I have a script to remove redundant archive files but the point is why is it filling up and with what??

There are only a few tables with logging activated but these are relatively small with minimal inserts/updates.

The following entries are taken from the parameter file (don't know whether this may help)....

db_block_buffers         = 70000
  db_block_size            = 16384
  db_block_lru_latches     = 4
  compatible               = 8.1.0
  log_archive_start        = TRUE
  log_archive_dest_1       = location=archive_directory
  log_archive_format       = arch_%t_%s.arc
  log_buffer               = 163840

  log_checkpoint_interval = 10000000
  log_checkpoint_timeout = 1800
  db_file_multiblock_read_count= 16

I am considering shutting down the database and changing the status of the database to noarchivelog mode, perform the data loads and then shutdown and reset to archivelog mode. I'm aware of the recovery implications.

We're using 8i on Solaris 2.6...and yes I'm fairly new to Oracle ;-) TIA
Grant

  INET: grant.g.holyoake_at_centrelink.gov.au

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Sep 04 2001 - 02:27:09 CDT