Re: Standby database

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_stell.cns.vt.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 14:19:58 -0700

--

I don't think you want to do what you are saying.

For standby environment you would need to have some manual intervention
at the prod failure (well, I guess you could script it, but I
wouldn't).   What I'd do is configure the old prod host ip address on
the new prod host (the old standby that has been activated).  That way
you don't have to mess with a dns restart.  You may need to clear some
arp caches in some layer 2 & 3 network elements along the way,
however.  As an alternative, you could move the dns pointer record for
the db from the old prod host dns entry to the old standby entry, which
isn't a standby anymore, it is the new prod host.  Whichever is
easier.
Ray Stell   stellr_at_vt.edu     (540) 231-4109     KE4TJC    28^D
Author: Ray Stell
  INET: stellr_at_stell.cns.vt.edu