RE: 9i NT

From: Scott <oraracdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:02:56 -0700

Tom, You could say that I am absolutely wrong but that would be incorrect. I have installed Oracle on NT many times and I am correct in saying that when you start the oracleservice<SID> this does not start the instance or database by default. I have 8.0.6, 8.1.7 and 9.0.1 BETA installed and these instances don't start when the service is started. I have to log into a DOS window set ORACLE_SID=ops1 then start the instances and database. This is the default. If I want the instance and database to start when I start the service I use the ORDIM.exe command to set that feature up. I prefer not to start the instances and database it because I run OPS and RAC on NT and I haven't set a dependencies between the OSD services and the Oracle SID service. If you use DataBase Creation Assistant (DBCA) then it will not only create a service for you instance it will setup the autostart feature as well. However 9i NT BETA DBCA does not do this but 8.1.7 does. I don't use DBCA. I create the SID service using ORADIM.exe and I create the database with scripts. The NT Oracle GUI tools will setup all the services. Check you registry under
HK_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CURRENTCONTROLSET -> ORACLE* and you should see the autostart service and check the dependencies.

Scott

Do You Yahoo!?
Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with Yahoo! Messenger http://im.yahoo.com
Author: Scott