sql*loader datatype question

From: Koivu, Lisa <lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:51:20 -0700

I'm hitting a wall here.  I'm trying to load data into a large table.  Two of the fields are phone numbers (10 digits).  The database field is defined as number(10).

When I try to load these records, they err out with an error similar to below.

Record 858:  Rejected - Error on table INV_OWNER.FPSITE, column FPS_AFFIL_LTD_PTS_FPS. ORA-01722: invalid number

So I change the fields to character, get the data in and it truly is all 10-digit numbers.  I'm wondering if I'm missing something in the format.  The doco says that INTEGER EXTERNAL is to be used for "human readable" numbers, non-binary, when you want to specify the length.  The length I've chosen is correct.  I can even create a table with number(10) columns and insert the varchar(10) phone number data into it!

What am I missing?  I really do not want to change all my number fields to character.  It would defeat the purpose. I have a feeling I'm missing some sort of conversion in SQL*Loader but I don't see it off the top of my head.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Lisa Koivu
wanna-be DBA Hand Holder (that's what I've been doing this morning with an ex-coworker) and DBA Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

The information in the electronic mail message is Cendant confidential and may be legally privileged, it is intended solely for the addressee(s) access to this internet electronic mail message by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.

The sender believes that this E-mail and any attachments were free of any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent. This message and its attachments could have been infected during transmission. By reading the message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking protective and remedial action about viruses and other defects. Cendant Corporation or Affiliates are not liable for any loss or damage arising in any way from this message or its attachments. Received on Thu Aug 30 2001 - 11:51:20 CDT