RE: How fast are your tape backups?

From: Satar Naghshineh <Satar.Naghshineh_at_irvine.mellesgriot.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:19:03 -0700

50 gigs in 1.5 hours.

HPUX 10.20
OmniBack 3.5
Oracle 7.3.4
HP DLT8000 Regards,
Satar Naghshineh

-----Original Message-----

From:   J.C. Stofer [SMTP:stoferj_at_columbus.rr.com]
Sent:   Tuesday, August 28, 2001 2:05 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject:        How fast are your tape backups?

Hello list.  I have a brand new database that is around 200 GB in size.  Our tape backup solution which was supplied by the hosting company is only giving me bewteen 6 and 7 MB per second .  A full cold backup can take 8 to 10 hours at this rate.

I looked at the specs for the tape library they sold us and it says 15MB/sec or up to 30 MB/sec compressed.  What gives?  The storage is SCSI 3 and also some Fibre channel so I don't think the drives are the bottleneck.

What kind of numbers are other people getting?

The system
NT 4
4GB RAM
400 GB storage (mix of SCSI 3 and fibre) Oracle 8.1.6.3.0
~ 200 GB in Oracle data files
Tivoli Storage Manager
IBM robotic  tape library (via fibre)

Author: J.C. Stofer
  INET: stoferj_at_columbus.rr.com Received on Mon Aug 27 2001 - 20:19:03 CDT