Re: * Oracle DBA with ERP experience needed in Maine..

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 17:53:47 -0700

On Thursday 23 August 2001 03:25, Cyril Thankappan wrote:

> I personally feel that with ERP products giving
> an interface to the ERP DBA..there is NOT much
> that an ERP DBA can do

This is very similar to a DBA that only knows how to do what the GUI will let him. That's not a senior DBA by any stretch of the imagination.

And just because the ERP product provides an interface doesn't mean you must use it.

There are a number of operations for which SAP provides an interface.

No thank you, I have my own way of doing some things, and their method does not fit my madness.

There are times when you must use the ERP tools. SAP for example has it's own data dictionary, and you better not mess with the tables, unless it's pure DBA stuff, like sizing.

There's plenty of room for DBA knowledge with ERP tools, regardless of how they may be promoted.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com