FW: [Fwd: an OPS question - tnsnames]

From: Paul Drake <drake_at_psscorp.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:30:35 -0700

Hi.

I would highly recommend the book (its my current train reading)

"Oracle Net8 Configuration and Troubleshooting" By Jonathan Gennick and Hugo Toledo - O'Reilly January 2001

Chapter 8 - Load Balancing and Failover covers this subject in detail for Oracle 8.1.6.0.0.
You can specify that the client only connects to OPS1, fails over to OPS2. I do not know anything about how well this works back on 8.0.5. Are you using Oracle Names?

What you want to do is only specify one connect descriptor for the initial connect,
and specify a failover descriptor - using TAF. Again, I have only read the docs for 8.1.6 - and not the 8.0 series.

Again - 8.0.6 is de-supported next month. Why not get this working on 8.1.7?
You'll have much better features and fewer bugs on 8.1.7.

hth,

Paul

Paul Drake
DBA/SysAdmin
Encoda Systems, Inc.

Dear list !
I've got an OPS database named OPS with 2 instances OPS1 and OPS2 . I want the clients to connect to the instance OPS1 and , if OPS1 becomes unavailable , to connect to OPS2 .
The Oracle version is 8.0.5
I put the following lines in clients' tnsnames.ora file :

OPS.world = (DESCRIPTION_LIST =

        (DESCRIPTION =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = tcp) (HOST = DB1) (PORT = 1526))
          (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = OPS1))
        )
        (DESCRIPTION =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = tcp) (HOST = DB2) (PORT = 1526))
          (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = OPS2))
        )

)

The problem is that when both the instances are up and running , it looks
like clients connect to one of the instances randomly . How can i ensure that they will try to connect to OPS1 first , and only if
it is unavailable , they'll connect to OPS2.

Thanks a lot in advance .

DBAndrey
 mailto:andreyb_at_elrontelesoft.com

Author: Andrey Bronfin
  INET: andreyb_at_elrontelesoft.com

Author: Paul Drake
  INET: drake_at_psscorp.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Aug 23 2001 - 12:30:35 CDT