RE: CPU - load !

From: Guy Hammond <guy.hammond_at_avt.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 04:20:05 -0700

The 3 numbers are the average number of processes in the "run queue" over the last 1, 5 and 15 minutes. For a process to be in the queue, it must be ready to run, but not actually on the CPU. If the system is swapping lots, that means that the io wait time will be high. If I remember correctly, if a process is waiting for swap, it is not counted as "ready to run", but I don't know if Solaris counts the page daemon as a process for the purpose of determining load average.

Also, depending on the version of top, it may be confused between regular processes and LWPs (threads). For example, if you have lots of short-lived threads ready to run within a single process, you can have a very high load average (I have seen ~200) while the system remains responsive. `

0.5 is not a high number, but then again, load average isn't such a useful metric. If Solaris performance is a problem, I strongly recommend getting a copy of Adrian Cockroft's book on the subject, and using vmstat and iostat to see what is really going on.

HTH, g

Author: Anders Bengtsson
  INET: anders.bengtsson_at_enargeia.com