Re: OT - File System to Disk Mapping

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 01:46:57 -0700

A logical volume is not necessarily associated with a single disc as in most cases people tend to mirror/stripe a volume group across many disks before creating logical volumes in the volume group.

However, if you execute

    vgdisplay -v /dev/vg00

then the tail end of the report will show you the list of physical volumes (i.e. discs) associated with the volume group.

   PV Name                     /dev/dsk/c0t5d0
   PV Status                   available
   Total PE                    2169
   Free PE                     1328
   Autoswitch                  On

You will also get a list of the logical volumes in the volume group

   LV Name                     /dev/vg00/lvol3
   LV Status                   available/syncd
   LV Size (Mbytes)            140
   Current LE                  35
   Allocated PE                35
   Used PV                     1

If you want to track down extreme levels of detail, you can issue:

    lvdisplay -v /dev/vg00/lvol3

Amongst other things, this will tell you how much of that logical volume is on each physical volume of the volume group

Jonathan Lewis

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html

Author of:
Practical Oracle 8i: Building Efficient Databases See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html