Re: SGA sizing

From: Stuart Graham <sgraham_at_intertrain.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 03:11:41 -0700

Yosi, here is the output from v$parameter and v$system_parameter. As far as I was aware, ismodified will be non-false if an alter session or alter system command has been carried out. isadjusted will be non-false if Oracle has dynamically adjusted the parameter.

Show SGA has the following output...

SQL> show sga

Total System Global Area
11953420 bytesFixed

Size

70924 bytesVariable
Size
9756672 bytesDatabase
Buffers
2048000 bytesRedo
Buffers

77824 bytes

So the Shared pool and redo buffers are still way higher than expected. I have read some documentation on metalink that says the java_pool_size will be a minimum of 32k, regardless of what you set in the init.ora, but as I have set it to 0 in the init.ora I would expect isadjusted to show true.

Metalink also says that if you set
log_buffer too low, Oracle will increase it to 4 times the platform specific maximum block size, but even that seems to bear no resemblence to what is going on!!!

Anyone else shed any light on
this???

SQL> l  1  SELECT
name,  2
value,  3
isdefault,  4

ismodified,  5
isadjusted  6    FROM v$system_parameter  7*  WHERE name IN
('shared_pool_size','java_pool_size','log_buffer','large_pool_size')SQL> /

<FONT face="Courier New"
size=2>NAME
VALUE      ISDEFAULT ISMODIFI ISADJ----------------
---------- --------- -------- -----shared_pool_size 4951040    FALSE     FALSE
FALSElarge_pool_size  614400
FALSE     FALSE
FALSEjava_pool_size   32768
FALSE     FALSE
FALSElog_buffer
32768      FALSE

FALSE    FALSE

SQL> SELECT name,
2         value,
3         isdefault,
4         ismodified,
5         isadjusted
6    FROM v$parameter  7   WHERE name IN
('shared_pool_size','java_pool_size','log_buffer','large_pool_size')  8  /

<FONT face="Courier New"
size=2>NAME
VALUE      ISDEFAULT ISMODIFIED
-----shared_pool_size 4951040
FALSE     FALSE
FALSElarge_pool_size  614400
FALSE     FALSE
FALSEjava_pool_size   32768
FALSE     FALSE
FALSElog_buffer
32768      FALSE

FALSE      FALSE Received on Wed Aug 22 2001 - 05:11:41 CDT