Re: Freelist Contention

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:10:42 -0700

Yeah, like I said, I wasn't thinking too hard about it. :)

Jared

                    "Jonathan Lewis"

                    <jonathan_at_jlcomp.de       To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    mon.co.uk>                cc:

                    Sent by:                  Subject:     Re: Freelist Contention

                    root_at_fatcity.com

                    08/21/01 11:46 AM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Not only that, PX slaves do direct reads  anyway, bypassing the buffer cache.

It is possible, though, that the flush
that has to take place before the PX
scan can read back is sufficient to
cause other processes to wait for
write complete waits, and I guess that
you could also get extra rbs header
waits as the flushed and scanned blocks
are rolled back by the PX slaves for
read consistency.

Excessive serial tablescans, on the other hand can easily cause significant buffer busy waits.

Jonathan Lewis

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html

Author of:
Practical Oracle 8i: Building Efficient Databases See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html