RE: net 8 / 8i ?

From: Jon Walthour <jonw_at_fuse.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 18:29:18 -0700

> 1. Should I install the net 8.0 client on the base image and upgrade
it to 8i later ?

Yes. Go ahead and get it over with.

> 2. Should I go ahead and install the 8i client on the base image and
be done with it.

> The larger question being will the 8i client work with the 8.0
databases ??

Yes. I use an 8.1.7 client to connect to db's version 7.1.6 and up all the time. No problem. You just can't go the other way and expect to do anything and everything (i.e., if you use a 7.x client to connect to an 8i database, don't expect to be able to work with LOBs).

Jon Walthour

Author: Jon Walthour
  INET: jonw_at_fuse.net