OT : Doing an Unix upgrade by using backup/restore from another s

From: Kuijten, F. (Frank) <f.kuijten_at_organonteknika.nl>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 04:53:36 -0700

Hello,

This past weekend, we've tried to upgrade our TRU64 4.0d system (with TRUCluster) to 4.0g.

However, things went terrible, terrible wrong (esp. with TRUCluster) and it wasn't until sunday late afternoon that we were up-and-running again with the original OS (4.0d).

We cannot afford such a long downtime again before the middle of october. However we can afford shorter downtimes during the weekend. And we need the upgrade, because 4.0g is the lowest OS-version certified with the shiny, new SAN, which needs to be installed pretty soon after the upgrade, because we desperately need the extra disks.

One solution now suggested by Compaq is : They (Compaq) take a vdump of all the root, /var and /usr directories of our systems and install and upgrade those on their own systems. Then we'll get a vdump back and restore these.
This would not take as long and if something goes wrong, we could recover more easily.

Now, I'm a bit sceptical about this.
I see no reason why it shouldn't work on a relative simple system. But if we had a simple system, things would have gone right the first time. Especially TRUCluster is difficult to setup and upgrade :-(.

I'm worried about relationships between Unix, TRUCluster and other applications (Baan, Oracle, etc.) we've running on those systems. We could be losing those if we "upgrade" like this. how about files on other filesystems, who should have been upgraded, but, obviously, aren't ? And perhaps it would work at first glance, but give problems later on who would be very hard to diagnose.

What do you think ?
Has anyone done something like this before ? Is it a viable solution ?

Thanks for any answers.

Greetings,
Frank

A good programmer is lazy !!!!!!!
The best programmers become DBA !

Author: Kuijten, F. (Frank)
  INET: f.kuijten_at_organonteknika.nl

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Aug 20 2001 - 06:53:36 CDT