RE: but will it run windows?

From: Kevin Lange <kgel_at_ppoone.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:45:03 -0700

I hate to climb on that soap box as well , but Chris is right.

I am no fan of windows either, I have not had complete luck with it ... but then who has had complete luck with any environment.

At my last job we had a Windows NT 4.0 Server that was running Oracle and Microstation CAD software. This box was the pits. It barely stayed up a week before we had to bring it down and reboot because it would get lost and no one could talk to it.

But, on the other hand, we had a Windows NT 4.0 Server running the same version of Oracle and Microsation CAD software that supported between 800 and 900 continuous connections all day long that came down once a month for maintenance.

I think a lot of the problems really do stem from Hardware, Drivers, Setup, and Administration.

Now, I truely loved the AIX system we had running Oracle. It was a workhorse that never came down. BUT, it was also in the relm of a 1/2 million dollars in cost. We paid for a very reliable hardware system.

We originally switched from a very stable lan running OS/2 to Windows NT ..... not because NT was beter ... not because it was cheaper .... not that it was more stable (which it was not). We switched because we could not find software that was designed to run on the OS/2 machines that all of our users used. At the time it was very evident that all the manufacturers out there wrote their stuff for Microsoft Windows first. THAT is the biggest reason, I think, that so many folks use Windows of one variety or another. That, and cost.

Author: Ray Stell <stellr_at_stell.cns.vt.edu>
Date:       8/17/2001 5:15 AM

InformationWeek_at_update.informationweek.com:

Scientists at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, Calif., held a coming-out party this week, but it wasn't for a debutante--it was to dedicate the world's fastest computer, a silicon belle named ASCI White. And this young lady knows how to cook. It works at speeds of 12.3 teraflops, or trillion floating operations per second--faster than the combined speed of the next three most powerful machines on earth.

The $110 million IBM supercomputer consists of 8,192 off-the-shelf IBM Power-3-II processors. It's got four terabytes of RAM and disk capacity of more than 160 terabytes, and it fills a computer room longer than two basketball courts. There's 49.3 miles of cable connecting the nodes of the machine, and it requires enough power to cool 765 homes.

Ray Stell stellr_at_vt.edu (540) 231-4109 KE4TJC 28^D

Author: Ray Stell
  INET: stellr_at_stell.cns.vt.edu

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: Christopher Spence
  INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.com

Author: Kevin Lange
  INET: kgel_at_ppoone.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Aug 17 2001 - 10:45:03 CDT