RE: Splitting a database: pro and cons

From: Guy Hammond <guy.hammond_at_avt.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 02:16:43 -0700

would be tempted to leave them in the same instance, but use resource consumer groups to control them. Also, I would have their schemas (and associated objects) in different tablespaces, just to make management easier too, for things like backups, space management etc.
<SPAN

class=627112109-17082001>
If
the two applications hit their peak loads at different times, then this would be perfect :0)
<SPAN

class=627112109-17082001>
<SPAN

class=627112109-17082001>g
<SPAN

class=627112109-17082001>
<SPAN

class=627112109-17082001>

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Hallas John   [mailto:John.Hallas_at_btcellnet.net]Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001   10:38 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   RE: Splitting a database: pro and cons   Quick thoughts Downside
  Resource overhead of another instance (system temp tablespace   memory etc) Support requirements <FONT   size=2>Conectivity between the 2 instances via db_links although if theye are   on the same server network traffic is negated   Upside Upgrade paths can be different   which is especially important when different vendors are involved   Service Level Agreements are easier to manage   No performance impact from one application on the other as   far as Oracle is concerned (still need to monitor O/S) <FONT   size=2>Backup strategy - hot cold, archivelog etc can be different as   necessary Tuning can be more specific for each vendor   app especially instance wide from the init.ora parameter   I am sure there are lots more
  John
  -----Original Message----- From:
  Djordje Jankovic [<A
  href="mailto:djankovic_at_corp.attcanada.ca">mailto:djankovic_at_corp.attcanada.ca]   Sent: 14 August 01 23:52 To: Multiple   recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: Splitting a   database: pro and cons
  Hi list,
  I have two applications running against one database (in fact   I have a few but for the sake of this question two are   enough).  The two apps have different upgrade   patterns and I would like to split them in two databases <FONT   size=2>that will be on the same unix server.  There are some views that   are used extensively that join data from both   apps/schemas, and after the split those should be made   using db links.  I did some tests and comparisons of queries   going through links versus running them directly on the   database, and did not see a lot of difference.

  Does anybody see or know of any downside in splitting the   database in two :-(.  And any advantage   :-).  What is the general strategy when installing <FONT   size=2>different apps (from different vendors) - put them on separate   databases or combining them.
  Thanks.
  Djordje -- <FONT
  size=2>Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A href="http://www.orafaq.com"   target=_blank>http://www.orafaq.com --   Author: Djordje Jankovic <FONT
  size=2>  INET: djankovic_at_corp.attcanada.ca   Fat City Network Services    -- (858)   538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego,   California        -- Public Internet access   / Mailing Lists <FONT

  To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail   message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling   of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line   containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing   list you want to be removed from).  You may also   send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).   <FONT
  email and any attachments may be confidential and the subject of legal   professional privilege. Any disclosure, use, storage or copying of this   email without the consent of the sender is strictly prohibited.Please   notify the sender immediately if you are not the intended recipient and   then delete the email from your inbox and do not disclose the contents to   another person, use, copy or store the information in any medium.